You know that we all love desserts.
If you don’t love sweets, I’m sorry, but we can’t be friends.
There’s just something about having a sweet treat after a meal that makes you look forward to it.
Unfortunately for us, sweets and desserts are made with loads and loads of sugar, and heavily processed –
AKA very bad for us in the long run.
What if I told you there was a way to eat sweets in a more healthy way?
Are you jumping for joy right now?
Yes, there is indeed a way to eat dessert and not feel guilty about it.
There are ways to make your favorite sweet treats with fruit, healthy sweeteners and other options.
First, let’s talk about the main substitutes you can use.
MAIN SUBSTITUTES FOR THE NO-GUILT TREAT
Can be used for pancakes, brownies, etc. Bananas are mostly used for consistency.
- Sweet Potato Puree
This is for brownies, for consistency.
- Cacao Powder
For your chocolate flavor. It tastes so yummy!
- Oat Flour
In place of white flour (so much better for you, and most oats are gluten-free!
- Almond Butter
A sticky alternative to other not-so-good fats (butter, margarine, etc.)
- Coconut Sugar
A way better alternative to white sugar (Pretty much anything that comes from coconuts is a safe bet.)
Now, let’s get into the recipes –
I’m salivating just looking at these. I want to make them all.
1. 3 INGREDIENT BROWNIES
These are so simple, it’s silly.
If you’re not making these every week, what are you doing with your life?
See the full recipe by Delightful Mom Food here.
To make these, you only need 30 mins total –
Including bake time!
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup crunchy almond butter
- (Optional) 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
All you do for these is:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep your 9 x 9 square baking dish by spraying coconut or avocado oil around the sides and bottom.
- Mash your bananas, add the almond butter and mix until smooth, and finally add the cacao powder in and mix until the cacao powder is no longer visible.
- Pour batter into your baking pan and bake for 20 mins. Simple as that!
2. MINI SWEET POTATO CINNAMON ROLLS
These cute little things only take 25 mins total!
If you’re like me and obsessed with all things sweet potato, these are for you.
These are a healthier alternative to regular cinnamon rolls.
Ingredients you need:
Sweet Potato Filling
- 1/4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or Pink Himalayan salt)
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
These are healthy and easy-peasy.
Visit Rachel’s recipe to see how to make these!
3. HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BLONDIES
These look to-die-for.
They are made with a very strange ingredient – chickpeas.
But, you would never know that they are in there!
This recipe is from Joy Food Sunshine –
And only take 35 mins total to make.
What you need:
- 1.15 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Visit the recipe (linked above) for full instructions on how to make these.
4. 3 INGREDIENT PALEO NUTELLA FUDGE CUPS
Yes, you read that right.
And guess how much time this one takes?
Brb, while I make 7 batches of these and store them in my fridge.
This recipe comes from The Big Man’s World.
You only need 3 delicious ingredients to make these.
- 2 cups homemade or store bought hazelnut butter/Nutella
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure Manuka honey
- (Optional) Sea salt to top
- Line your 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Melt your hazelnut butter with your coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl (or stovetop).
- Add your pure Manuka honey and stir through until fully incorporated.
- Divide mixture evenly between your muffin liners, and place in the freezer for 2 mins.
- EAT! (Try not to eat them all in one sitting, I know it’ll be hard.
5. 3 INGREDIENT PANCAKES
This recipe hails from The Skinny Confidential.
I’m sensing a theme here –
Lots of the recipes on this list are only 3 ingredients.
People like ease and convenience, but most of all, simplicity.
We want a sweet treat without so many complications!
And, if you’re like me, you love sweet things for breakfast.
Unfortunately, most sweet things leave me tired and with a crash after an hour or two.
Not ideal for a productive work day.
This recipe is super easy to make in the morning when you’re short on time –
Running to class, or heading to a sorority event.
Plus, there’s lots of nutrients that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also keep you full for awhile.
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1 or 2 scoops of chia seeds
That’s it –
Blend these ingredients together in your blender. Warm up your non-stick pan to medium heat and grease it using coconut oil or avocado oil. Cook about 30 secs. on each side. You can add berries on top for a little antioxidant action, cinnamon, or Manuka honey.
I hope we gave you some hope that you can have your sweet treats and be a little healthier with them!
Healthy dessert recipes are trending right now, so bloggers are posting lots of these in hopes of helping people make their treats guilt-free!
Let us know if you try any of these, and how you like them.