How to Create an Amazing College Workout Routine
If you're like us, working out is a very daunting task. Add in a busy class schedule, unhealthy campus food, and trying to balance a social life, and you've got yourself a recipe for the Freshman 15. We have some tips to keep those New Year's resolutions and to create a college workout routine, without breaking (or even touching) the bank and without losing any of your free time! Greek shirt you just got! Another important tip accompanies the exercise tipsÂ we have for you: staying healthy! This is extremely vital if you want to keep that beach bod intact. This includes:
- Drinking LOTS of water every day (more than the recommended 8 cups per day)
- Don't skip breakfast - it starts your metabolism each day, so make it a healthy one!
- Snack often throughout the day with healthy snacks like veggies or fruit
1. Â Use Your (Free) Resources on CampusAn awesome way to get exercise while in college is to use the resources you have at your disposal. If you have access to your university's stadium, make one of your weekly workouts to run the steps of the stadium.
2. Â Flex Those AbsA great way to fit in some workout exercises is simply to flex your abs for 30 seconds at a time, while sitting in class. You can also do this when you're driving, walking to class; pretty much anywhere and everywhere. Come springtime, you'll be able to show offÂ those abdominal muscles.
3. Â Dorm College Workout RoutineYour dorm room or apartment is a great place to exercise. You can make it a roommate activity and enlist your built-in workout buddy. There are plenty of YouTube videos you can follow if you don't know what workout to do. You can find everything from yoga to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts online. If you want to go with the most budget-friendly option, YouTube and bodyweight exercises are the way to go. Bodyweight exercises are the exercises you can do without any equipment - you can just use the weight of your body. Favorite exercises that get the job done include:
- planks (regular, and side planks)
- leg raises (work those abs!)
- donkey kicks
4. Â Join Intramural SportsThis is a great way to fit in a weekly workout routine, especially for those of us that are used to playing high school sports regularly. There are many intramural sports offered on campuses, including:
- Indoor/Outdoor Soccer
- Flag Football